Catherine is a Partner in the Corporate department of MNKS. Focusing mainly on corporate law, Catherine is particularly involved in the implementation of group structuring projects and deals regularly with mergers and acquisitions involving companies on the Luxembourg market.
In addition, she is well versed on the process of obtaining business licenses necessary for operational companies to carry on their activities in Luxembourg.
Having joined the team in 2002 from PwC Luxembourg, Catherine has experience in a wide range of areas, including personal tax compliance, advisory and payroll which she practiced with PwC Luxembourg, as well as employment law and tax litigation.
The variety of her experience means Catherine is frequently involved in multidisciplinary files, in which her versatile profile is a clear advantage.
She also strongly contributes to the organisation and functioning of the firm’s risk management processes (i.e., client due diligence and post-closing procedures) and of the internal team dealing with the Luxembourg Trade and Companies Register.
Member of the Luxembourg Bar, 2004
Law degree in private law, Robert Schuman University, Strasbourg (France), 1995
About the corporate practice
Chambers Europe 2017 states that MNKS is a well-known local outfit advising clients on M&A, restructurings, joint ventures and private equity, particularly those involving US investors. Notably focused on mandates in the technology sector. Works closely with the firm’s tax and finance teams to offer a full corporate service. Continues to broaden its practice into areas such as Islamic finance and fintech. The team is praised for being user-friendly: “They are very effective, proactive, easy to work with.”
The Legal 500 2017 states that “MNKS is particularly noted for its handling of deals involving US and UK entities. In addition to receiving direct instructions from clients, it also benefits from a significant flow of mandates from major law firms in those jurisdictions.”
About the private equity practice
Chambers Europe 2017 states that MNKS is a respected domestic firm acting for a broad spectrum of domestic and international private equity and real estate sponsors. Specialises in structuring and financing of cross-border joint ventures, refinancings, reorganisations, leveraged and management buy-outs. Increasingly active in the venture capital space.
Catherine Baflast “listens well to what the client needs and identifies what we are trying to accomplish from a business perspective.”
Catherine has recently worked on the following high profile transactions:
- assisting a global e-commerce leader since 2003 with numerous corporate transactions, including the establishment of its EU headquarters and regularly advising on corporate governance, financing and compliance matters;
- assisting a Dow 30 telecommunications company with the establishment of a restructuring strategy for its companies’ group further to a recent acquisition on an international level of a new channel of operational companies;
- advising a global financial group traded on the NYSE in the context of the acquisition of an additional stake in a joint venture which operated as a bank in Luxembourg in a transaction involving EU merger regulation aspects;
- assisting a Luxembourg internet company with the legal establishment of its business relationship with the four largest music majors and also to permit the smooth entry of well-established local and international retail and institutional investors;
- assisting a leading internet company to strengthen its position in Europe, through the acquisition of the Luxembourg parent company of French and UK operational companies;
- assisting a leading Swedish sales and marketing company providing components for various major industries to develop its business through Europe by establishing an operational subsidiary in Luxembourg and to obtain the appropriate Luxembourg business license;
- assisting a leading player in the fast-food industry in the Benelux area with the acquisition of a Luxembourg operational company running numerous fast-foods throughout the Luxembourg territory and with the legal framework of the commercial partnership to develop this particular industry in Luxembourg;
- assisting a private equity investment firm making investments in middle-market companies in North America and Europe in structuring a sophisticated back-to-back debt (hybrid) financing structure as well as an additional financing agreement for the purpose of acquiring a leading service provider for online gaming in Italy, in relation to the acquisition of a Canadian nutritional food company and in establishing a double Luxembourg structure in order to fund an investment in online insurance, also on the Canadian market;
- assisting a world-leading multinational financial services company headquartered in Zurich for two joint venture projects with a leading global investment firm who acted as co-investor in relation to investments in a French target active in the wind farms field and in an ultimate Spanish target acting as operator of car parks and industrial trading parks.
- advising the bondholders of a property group that has issued shares admitted to trading on the Stock Exchanges of Paris, Prague, Warsaw and Budapest Debt in relation to restructuring in the framework of an international insolvency proceedings;
- assisting the leading telecommunications operator in Russia for the due diligence and contemplated acquisition of a substantial stake in a Russian bank, a subsidiary of which is located in Luxembourg; and
- in the context of the membership of MNKS in PwC Accelerator, advising several clients in the setting up of attractive structures in order to raise funds from new investors (private equity, institutional) to develop their activities.