Raquel is a tax specialist who focuses on the planning and implementation of cross border tax efficient structures.
Having joined MNKS in October 2011 to launch our Tax practice and build a team, Raquel spent over 12 years in a Big 4 audit firm in Luxembourg and abroad, advising major PE Houses and international groups on diverse tax aspects of acquisitions, disposals and restructuring deals.
In particular, since moving to Luxembourg she has been involved in the development of tax effective structures including hybrid instruments designed for different kinds of (US) investors and tailor-made management equity programs for top tier management.
Over the years, she has particularly specialized in the taxation of international Private Equity Fund structures and has experience in the alternative investment industry focused on the tax structuring via Luxembourg of mainly but not limited to acquisition of continental European Targets.
She advises our clients on tax matters of transactions, for example during the acquisition, pre-disposal reorganization, refinancing, restructuring, cross-borders acquisitions or disposals (e.g. due diligence, review and analysis of specific share purchase agreement) including transactions involving private equity players, as well as intra-group reorganizations.
In this context, she has broad experience in project management.
Raquel is fluent in English, French, German and Spanish (mother tongue), certainly a huge advantage in dealing with international clientele.
Member of the Luxembourg Bar, 2012, (Avocat Liste IV au Barreau de Luxembourg)
Member of the Pamplona Bar (Spain), 2009
Law Degree, University of Navarra, Pamplona (Spain), 1999
Chambers & Partners 2017 states that “Raquel Guevara specialises in representing international clients, often including private equity firms, on tax planning and tax-efficient structures for cross-border transactions and investments. Clients say: ‘She has a strong knowledge of cross-border tax and how that fits into a structure and what we are trying to achieve.’ Other interviewees are frequently impressed with her handling of demanding cross-border mandates and say she ‘ensures transactions run smoothly.’”
The Legal 500 2017 states that “Mirroring the firm’s growth across the corporate and private equity areas, MNKS’ tax team has become increasingly active advising on tax-efficient structurings necessary for such transactions.”
Our Tax team recently acted as Luxembourg counsel to:
- Assisting a London based asset manager to set up a structure to accomplish investments into distressed real estate assets located in South East and Central Europe.
- Assisting a London / Madrid mid-size Private Equity House to set up and advice the different structures carrying out investments in Luxembourg, Spain and other European countries.
- Structuring and Due Diligence assistance in the frame of a secondary buy out of a French headed group active in the engineering of customer experiences for 800 million EUR.
- Occasional assistance to a Scandinavian Private Equity House specialized in investments in the telecommunications, generic pharmaceuticals, Information Technology, natural resources and financial sector.
- Assisting NJJ Capital, Xavier Niel’s French holding company, in the acquisition of Orange Communications S.A. (Orange Switzerland) from Apax Partners, for a total transaction value of EUR 2.3 billion.
- Assisting a US based Private Equity house to structure and acquire a portion of the shares in a club deal together with other 7 co-investors in a company specializing in the development, investment and management of real estate in Greece and South-Eastern Europe.
- Assisting a Texas – US based private equity sponsor with headquarters in Luxembourg in the set-up of a Luxembourg investment structure involving a two tier Luxembourg structure with two streams suiting different types of US investors for the acquisition of a leading Greek jewelry brand and other South European targets for several hundred millions USD.
- Assisting a Far East Bank in the frame of its establishment of its European headquarters in Luxembourg with view to the changes in the legislation regarding exchange of information and reporting standards in the context of CRS and FATCA.
- Assisting a US based e-commercial giant to issue bonds in the market to finance its subsidiaries / operations (>USD 100 million).
- Assisting a leading producer of chemical products comprising more than 15 businesses, counting more than 60 manufacturing facilities in 13 countries around the world (in Europe, America and Asia) as a tax counsel in the refinancing of high yield notes due 2016 by the issuance of EUR 600 million and USD 590 million new high yield notes listed on the Euro MTF market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange including a tax opinion thereon.
- Assisting a French funds’ management group with more than 2 billion EUR under management within a global restructuring implying among other things a migration of a French operational and regulated company to Luxembourg.
- Assisting a Luxembourg based real estate fund to acquire through a share deal a representative property in Luxembourg City of offices rental space. Assistance included pre acquisition due diligence (tax, legal, real estate and financial) and structuring advice as well as negotiation of the financial aspects.
- Assisting a very HNWI resident in Luxembourg to acquire the shares of a company holding a representative building located in Luxembourg City.
- Ongoing tax and legal assistance to a major BENELUX real estate fund regarding real estate promotion, negotiation with banks and dispute resolution. Transactional tax work covered mainly real estate transfer tax planning bearing in mind the several concerns derived from the difficult negotiations and the litigation resulted thereof.
- Assisting a Belgian renewable energy investment firm in joint venture with Nordex and Green Electricity Groups in the acquisition of several German wind farms via a Luxembourg based investment vehicle. Structuring advice as well as assistance with the financing and security package and issue of the related tax and legal opinions.
- Assisting a London based real estate asset management firm to close Fund I, in particular in the acquisition, structure and implementation of financing streams dedicated to Polish real estate property investments. Assisting the same London-based real estate asset management firm to the launch of a second fund with co-investors to invest in Central Eastern Europe real estate properties’ portfolio and the tax structuring related including the financing package.
- Assisting a Spanish Asset Management firm in restructuring distressed real estate assets located in Berlin and Brussels held via a Luxembourg vehicle.
- Advising on Warrant Plans to be set up in Luxembourg for the management of a South American company specialized in software in the Energy Sector in its expansion into Europe. Issue of a tax opinion.
- Acting for a South American company specialized in software in the Energy Sector in its expansion into Europe regarding tax aspects and day to day operations. Our assistance covered for example the design and set up of a stock option plan for the key employees and managers of the group.