Raquel is a tax specialist who focuses on the planning and implementation of cross border tax efficient structures.
Having joined MNKS in October 2011 to launch our Tax practice and build a team, Raquel spent over 12 years in a Big 4 audit firm in Luxembourg and abroad, advising major PE Houses and international groups on diverse tax aspects of acquisitions, disposals and restructuring deals.
In particular, since moving to Luxembourg she has been involved in the development of tax effective structures including hybrid instruments designed for different kinds of (US) investors and tailor-made management equity programs for top tier management.
Over the years, she has particularly specialized in the taxation of international Private Equity Fund structures and has experience in the alternative investment industry focused on the tax structuring via Luxembourg of mainly but not limited to acquisition of continental European Targets.
She advises our clients on tax matters of transactions, for example during the acquisition, pre-disposal reorganization, refinancing, restructuring, cross-borders acquisitions or disposals (e.g. due diligence, review and analysis of specific share purchase agreement) including transactions involving private equity players, as well as intra-group reorganizations. In this context, she has broad experience in project management.
Raquel is fluent in English, French, German and Spanish (mother tongue), certainly a huge advantage in dealing with international clientele.
Member of the Pamplona Bar (Spain), 2009
Law Degree, University of Navarra, Pamplona (Spain), 1999
The Legal500 2016 states that “Raquel Guevara is ‘proactive, responsive and knowledgeable on current tax issues’. The firm’s broad-ranging expertise includes assisting clients with tax-related structuring advice associated with M&A and restructuring transactions.”
Chambers Europe 2015 “Department head Raquel Guevara of MNKS advises international corporates and private equity houses on a wide range of tax issues”.
Our Tax team recently acted as Luxembourg counsel to:
- NJJ Capital, Xavier Niel’s French holding company, in the acquisition of Orange Communications S.A. (Orange Switzerland) from Apax Partners, for a total transaction value of EUR 2.3 billion.
- an Asian investor group in the acquisition of the brand and business of a leading Italian luxury leather goods brand from the Italian founder.
- a Texas – US based private equity sponsor with headquarters in Luxembourg in the set-up of a Luxembourg investment structure involving a two tier Luxembourg structure with two streams suiting different types of US investors for the acquisition of a leading Greek jewelry brand and other South European targets.
- a German based asset manager in the solar /renewable energy sector with respect to the setting-up of a Luxembourg investment fund, including the analysis of the remuneration of the managers and carried interest structuring aspects, in particular with respect to the ESMA recommendations, and tax implications. We also advised on the migration of the activities of the asset management activities to Luxembourg.
- a major Russian institutional investor (subject to the financial market regulator of Russia and with several hundreds of millions under management) in the set-up of a Luxembourg fund based structure to allow the investor to raise funds to invest in infrastructure projects in Russia including pipelines.
- a French fund management group with nearly two billion of assets under management within a global restructuring, implying amongst other things, the migration of the French operations to Luxembourg.
- one of the industry leaders of the world’s pharmaceutical market for the unwinding of an existing UK – Luxembourg structure.
- one of the world’s largest suppliers of optical components, modules and subsystems for the global optical communications market for industrial and consumer laser applications to seek for financing by means of the issuance of senior secured notes listed on the Euro MTF market to an institutional Investor.
- a leading producer of chemical products comprising more than 15 businesses, counting more than 60 manufacturing facilities in 13 countries around the world (in Europe, America and Asia) as a tax counsel to the issuer belonging to client group in the refinancing of high yield notes due 2016 by the issuance of EUR 600 million and USD 590 million new high yield notes listed on the Euro MTF market of the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
a French based company that has developed a smartphone application relating to internet payment services to raise capital notably from US based investors that would set up a SIF to invest into the company once the company will have migrated to Luxembourg.