What Others Say
CHAMBERS & PARTNERS EUROPE 2018
Corporate / M&A: Band 3
- Interviewees highlight the “agility and mindset of the firm” and appreciate the firm’s “strong boutique feel,” praising the team as “very commercial people,” who are “efficient and reactive.” The team is also praised for its “very pragmatic and business-oriented” approach, the lawyers “focus on client strategy with advice oriented towards long-term opportunities.”
- Katia Scheidecker, advises US clients on Luxembourg M&A projects and corporate structuring mandates, with a notable focus on e-commerce and telecoms. Sources appreciate “her ability to develop sound client relationships as well as her reactivity.”
Private Equity: Band 3
- Clients say: “I like their pragmatic approach: they are always quick in replying and the work is in good shape.” “We like their reactivity and the fact that the partner is available for us.”
- Clients benefit from Catherine Baflast‘s extensive experience in private equity funds, where she advises on M&A and fund structuring. They value that “she understands the needs of the client and is reactive.”
- Saskia Myners advises on a broad range of private equity matters including joint ventures and refinancings. Clients appreciate that “Myners is very responsive. She gives really thorough explanations and is really patient in answering questions.”
Employment: Band 2
- Clients include companies from the financial services, real estate and manufacturing industries. “We consider them to be a very smart firm “report clients, who add that “they respond very quickly and with intelligence. On the one hand they give us very precise legal advice and on the other they are always commercially minded; they try and find out what is most efficient for the company.” They praise the strength of the team as a whole, recognising the firm’s “very deep team of legal experts” and noting that “the quality is very good” throughout.
- Marielle Stevenot (band 1) is an employment law specialist. As a litigator she focuses on partnership disputes and enforcement of restrictive covenants. Clients say she is “recognised as an expert in employment law in the Luxembourg market” and praise her for being “very experienced and business-oriented.”
- Clients describe Cindy Arces´ advice as “precise, quick and operational” and praise her for her fast response times, with one noting that she “respects the deadlines” she agrees and gives clients comfort on when legal issues will be dealt during negotiations.
Dispute Resolution: Band 3
- Extensive client base features international banks and technology companies. Clients commend the “responsive and detail-oriented” nature of the department and the service it provides. They highlight the team’s “technical competence” in litigation and add: “MNKS is one of our go-to firms.”
- Cindy Arces co-heads the department. Clients highlight Arces’ “good understanding of matters from a business perspective” as well as noting that she is “very good in negotiations.”
IT / IP: Band 3
- Varied client portfolio spanning the financial services and banking sectors, technology, manufacturing and consumer goods. Clients praise the firm’s responsiveness and its dedication to them: “They have always been really active,” and “everything was done on time and was well explained.” They appreciate the “guidance and interesting discussions, which are tailored to the client’s needs” and the lawyers’ ability to “leverage the experience and all the past work that they have done already.”
- Audrey Rustichelli leads the firm’s Technologies and IP department and has a particular focus on IT outsourcing contracts, internet and e-commerce and data privacy. Clients praise her “strong knowledge of data protection” and describe her as “a specialist with a good understanding of IT and a global overview.”
THE LEGAL 500 2018
Banking & Finance: Band 3
- At MNKS, Basile Fémelat provides ‘clear analysis on structured finance matters’ and has handled numerous mandates for originators in multimillion-euro securitisation transactions.
Corporate & M&A: Band 3
- MNKS’ three-partner team provides ‘sophisticated advice’ to a predominantly US and UK-based client roster. The ‘excellent’ Saskia Myners excels in handling private equity transactions. Katia Scheidecker and Catherine Baflast are other names to note.
Employment: Band 1
- Clients say, the ‘calm and pragmatic’ Marielle Stevenot excels in handling the employment issues related to outsourcing and restructuring projects. Cindy Arces regularly assists international clients on staffing and day-to-day employment law compliance issues.
Dispute Resolution: Band 2
- Led by Cindy Arces and Marielle Stevenot, MNKS regularly handles complex shareholder disputes, investor litigation and contract disputes. Stevenot recently successfully defended a domestic IT company against unfair competition claims brought by a rival company following the recruitment of several employees from that company.
IP & IT: Band 2
- Now headed by the ‘responsive and pragmatic’ Audrey Rustichelli following her arrival in November 2016 from Baker McKenzie, MNKS has been active handling data protection compliance projects for corporates in light of the forthcoming GDPR.
Tax: Band 2
- ‘Increasingly visible in the market’, MNKS provides ‘creative and technical’ tax-efficient structuring advice pertaining to corporate and private equity transactions. The firm regularly works alongside the real estate team on tax structuring matters. Charles Roemers is the primary contact.
Investment Funds: Band 4
- Working closely with corporate, tax and finance practitioners, MNKS has a multi-disciplinary approach to work in the funds sector. Key practitioners include Saskia Myners for private equity work and Basile Fémelat, who is particularly focused on unregulated fund structuring.